Misoprostol UsesMisoprostol is used in medical abortion and post-delivery bleeding.
How Misoprostol worksMisoprostol increases contractions of the uterus to cause abortion. It can also prevent post-delivery bleeding due to poor contraction of the uterus.
INFORMATION ABOUT MISOPROSTOL
- Misoprostol helps terminate pregnancy when used along with another medicine called mifepristone.
- It may also be used to prevent excessive bleeding after delivery.
- For pregnancy termination:
- Take it no later than 63 days after the first day of your last menstrual period.
- Take it 36 – 48 hours after taking mifepristone.
- Rest for at least 3 hours after taking the medicine.
- If you vomit within 30 minutes of taking the tablet, talk to your doctor immediately, as you may need to take another tablet.
- Take it only as prescribed by the doctor. Miscarriages, if incomplete, may result in serious medical complications leading to hospitalization, surgery and possible infertility.
- Vaginal bleeding lasting for approximately 12 days may occur after taking this medicine. Inform your doctor immediately if excessive bleeding occurs or if you suffer from severe abdominal pain.
- Use caution while driving or doing anything that requires concentration as it can cause dizziness and sleepiness.
- It does not affect fertility. Use contraception to avoid pregnancy.