Information about Mifepristone + Misoprostol
Mifepristone + Misoprostol UsesMifepristone+Misoprostol is used for medical abortion.
How Mifepristone + Misoprostol worksMifepristone + Misoprostol is a combination of two medicines: Mifepristone and Misoprostol, which causes abortion. Mifepristone blocks the effects of progesterone, a natural female hormone that is needed for the pregnancy to sustain. Without this hormone, the lining of the uterus (womb) breaks down as it does during a menstrual period and stops the growth of the pregnancy. Misoprostol increases contractions of the uterus to cause abortion.
DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION
Expert advice for Mifepristone + Misoprostol
- Mifepristone + Misoprostol helps terminate a pregnancy.
- Use caution while driving or doing anything that requires concentration as it can cause dizziness and sleepiness.
- It does not affect fertility. Use contraception to avoid pregnancy.
- For pregnancy termination:
- Take it no later than 63 days after the first day of your last menstrual period.
- Take Misoprostol 36 – 48 hours after taking Mifepristone.
- Rest for at least 3 hours after taking the Misoprostol.
- Take it only as prescribed by the doctor. Miscarriages, if incomplete, may result in serious medical complications leading to hospitalization, surgery and possible infertility.
- Vaginal bleeding lasting for approximately 12 days may occur after taking this medicine. Inform your doctor immediately if excessive bleeding occurs or if you suffer from severe abdominal pain.